"Landslide" is a song written by Stevie Nicks and performed by British-American music group Fleetwood Mac. It was first featured on the band's 1975 eponymous album Fleetwood Mac. Along with "Rhiannon", it would be Nicks's first original contribution to the band upon joining. A live version was released as a single 23 years later from the live reunion album The Dance. This version reached #51 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and #10 on th Adult Contemporary chart. "Landslide" was certified Gold in October 2009 for sales of over 500,000 copies in the U.S. According to fleetwoodmacnews.com, "Landslide" has sold 1,315,950 copies in the U.S. as of February 2013.
Nicks has said that she wrote this song while she was contemplating going back to school or continuing on professionally with guitarist Lindsey Buckingham. Their album Buckingham Nicks had been dropped by Polydor Records and she and Buckingham were not getting along. She wrote the song while visiting Aspen, Colorado, sitting in someone's living room "looking out at the Rocky Mountains pondering the avalanche of everything that had come crashing down on us ... at that moment, my life truly felt like a landslide in many ways."
Stevie Nicks versionEdit
There are currently 7 different versions commercially available featuring Nicks on vocals:
- Fleetwood Mac (1975). The original recording also appears on the compilation albums 25 Years - The Chain (1992) and The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac (2002).
- Live (1980). Recorded live in London, June 27, 1980, at the Wembly Arena during the Tusk Tour.
- The Dance (1997). Live track released as a maxi-single, which also included 3 remixes of the original 1975 recording.
- VH1 Devas in Vegas (2002). Performed live with the Dixie Chicks.
- Live in Boston (2004)
- Crystal Visions: The Very Best of Stevie Nickss (2007). Performed live with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.
- The Soundstage Sessions (2009). Performed live in Chicago for the PBS program Soundstage An alternate performance from this event is included on her Live in Chicago DVD.
- The song is one of Fleetwood Mac's most frequently performed songs on tour. Nicks has performed it on every Fleetwood Mac tour since joining the band, with the exception of the Shake the Cage tour, as well as all of her own solo tours from 2005 onwards. Nicks also regularly performs it along with "Stand Back" during television guest appearances.